Middle School Distance Learning Norms and Expectations
Punctuality and Attendance
- All learners are required to attend all classes at the scheduled times. This "synchronous learning" time enables learners and facilitators to engage with each other in real time.
- Learners must have their cameras on during the first and final 10 minutes of class to be marked present. Please discuss any challenges regarding this with your facilitator.
Workspace and Attire
- A quiet work-from-home area with a neutral, non-distracting background (real or virtual) will need to be created.
- Learners must dress as they typically would for an in-person class when attending virtual classes. Learners cannot be lying in bed during class.
Be Ready to Learn
- Have your computer charger with you.
- Close non-school related tabs and turn off notifications before class.
- Open relevant class documents and downloads.
Virtual Classroom Norms
- When entering the virtual classroom, learners must be signed in to their school email and have their displayed name be their own first and last names.
- Learners are expected to join Zoom classroom meetings with webcams on and mics muted. Keep mics muted unless you are speaking. Mics can be unmuted in breakout room discussions if you are in a quiet environment.
- The only acceptable virtual backgrounds for learners are the default options provided by Zoom. If learners choose to have a profile picture on Zoom, it must be a picture of that learner.
- As always, learners are expected to be kind and respectful to others and to their facilitators.