How to take College Courses in High School
The Peralta Community Colleges
ACLC's 10th, 11th, & 12th grade learners have the opportunity to benefit from college-level instruction through our High School Special Enrollment partnership with Peralta Community Colleges.
You can take in-depth, accelerated courses at one of the local community colleges including College of Alameda, Laney College, Merritt College and Berkeley City College.
Learners from ACLC have taken a wide variety of community college classes, such as:
|• Astronomy||• Psychology||• Philosophy||• Anthropology|
|• Chemistry||• Microbiology||• Physics||• Calculus I & II|
|• Statistics||• Trigonometry||• Geometry||• English|
|• Creative Writing||• Macroeconomics||• German||• Spanish|
|• Japanese||• Mandarin||• Guitar||• Piano|
|• Art History||• Ceramics || || |
Steps to apply for admission to the Peralta Community Colleges:
1. Click here for the Enrollment Steps for High School Students page on the Peralta Colleges website.
2. Read through all the Steps for High School Special Enrollment.
3. When ready, click here for the Apply & Enroll Page.
4. Select your home campus. (Usually College of Alameda. You can still take classes at any campus.)
5. Create an OpenCCC Account and complete your application. (This will take about 30 minutes).
6. After completing your application, you will receive an email with your application confirmation number.
7. Once the application has been processed, you will receive your Peralta Student ID within 48 hours.
Steps to enroll in a college class:
1. First, click here for Passport Student Services, and then click on "Schedule of Classes".
2. Explore available classes of interest. You may enroll in classes that:
a. Do not conflict with ACLC required courses (including transport time).
b. Meet UC/CSU transfer requirements.
3. Some courses may require an assessment test for enrollment.
4. If you take more than 6.5 units per semester, the college will need a copy of your high school transcript.
5. After selecting your course(s), complete a High School Special Enrollment Form and an Enrollment Verification Form (available at ACLC Office).
6. Obtain required signatures and stamp on the High School Special Enrollment Form.
7. Take your completed High School Special Enrollment Form to the Student Service Center at your Peralta home campus.
8. Once you are enrolled, turn in a copy of your Peralta Schedule and your Enrollment Verification Form to the ACLC Office.
9. If your class is during school hours, you must request an Off-Campus Contract from the ACLC Office.
a. Complete the Off-Campus Contract form and obtain needed signatures.
b. Your Off-Campus Contract is only valid for one semester.
If you have questions, need assistance with course selection or enrollment, please click here to email the School Counselor.
Here are some useful links:
College of Alameda Website
General Ed Requirements and Degree Programs for the Peralta Community Colleges
Peralta Colleges Class Schedules and Catalogs